Happy Friday neighbours! I’m your host Patrick Murray here with 3 new tracks as we head into the weekend.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Cloudy with a little heavy snow late overnight. High: 34 Low: 20.
Here are the main stories of the Lower East Side-Chinatown today:
- yet another Lower East Side crab restaurant closed. Juicy King Crab Express, a few blocks from the recently closed Crab Du Jour, has closed after less than a year in business. The 213 East Broadway restaurant still had its grand opening flags hanging at the entrance. (Boogie-Boogie)
- The minds behind the soon to open Moxy Hotel on Bowery does its best to win affection neighborhood. The company announced that it would offer food and beverages operated by New York-based Tao Group. Leaflets were also posted throughout the neighborhood inviting anyone to join the virtual network. Zoom briefings throughout the past week. (Boogie-Boogie)
- A Bronx college has been charged with sale of 73 illegal firearms and large capacity magazines to an undercover cop. Shakor Rodriguez, 23, was attending Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, Tenn., and he was transferring arms to New York from the South. Most of the transactions took place near his home in the Bronx, however, several sales were made on Allen Street. (ABC 7 NY)
From our sponsor:
Tackle a long list of things to do around the house to start the new year? Our partners at Bug, home services app, have made hiring trusted local professionals for just about any job extremely easy and intuitive. Within minutes, you can find a painter, plumber, roofer, or someone to help you with small jobs like hauling trash or fixing appliances. And Thumbtack’s rating system can give you confidence that you’re hiring a quality professional you can count on. Click here to start.
Today in Lower East Side-Chinatown:
- Screening “Inquisitor Sisters” at The metrograph. (4:45 p.m.)
- Live music at Mercury Lounge. (7 p.m.)
- Dance Yourself Clean at The Bowery Ballroom. (10 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Future or current students and recent graduates, apply now for the environmental education internship at Lower East Side Eco Center! (Facebook)
- Three local restaurants named in this list of 18 of the most romantic restaurants in town. (NY Eater)
- Read another glowing article from The Hannah Traore Gallery. (untapped New York)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
- Italian organist Eugenio Maria Fagiani plays the historic Erben organ from 1868 (January 30)
- Help us improve your health | Ayudenos a improve su salud | Help us improve your health (February 16)
- Add your event
Do you like the Lower East Side-Chinatown Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
That’s all for today! See you all tomorrow morning for your next update.
— Patrick Murray